Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lukes Here!!!

December 13, 2010 I was scheduled for my C-Section.  Were arrived at the hospital at 5:30am and got checked in.  My husband and I sat there nervous for what was to come.  We didn't now what to expect and what our future would be like.  I asked the nurse if they have delivered Spina Bifida babies there at Methodist.  She told me, "We get about 5 a year."  Wow.  Okay.  She assured me that I had the best Doctors in San Antonio that would work on Luke (she was right).  I went into the delivery room about 9am and was given the epidural along with some other meds.  My husband came into the room along with my mom and they started the delivery.  When having a C-section they have a sheet covering your sight so we did not see the Doctor while she was taking him out.  When she was doing the C-Section something fell and we heard her say "Oh sh**" all three of us started freaking out and asked if everything is okay.  She responded back "Yes.  Sorry, everything is fine.  I just burned myself with the instrument."  Man all of us were cracking up, I guess were weren't the only nervous ones, then my facebook kept going off and everyone was just laughing.  I guess we were just trying to make it as comfortable as possible.  By the time we new I My husband looks at me smiling, "Luke's out Babe.  He's moving his legs and everything."  He says.  I started crying "really, let me see, let me see him.  I want my baby."  They took him over to me and he was so beautiful and remarkable, but they had to take him for blood work and all that other stuff.  I asked how his back looked and my husband said nothing was even sticking out.  It looked more like a scrape on the back.  It was wide and long.  They took him straight into surgery.  It took 2 hours for me to recover and start moving my legs again before I could see my husband and my mom again.  Once I saw them Luke was still in surgery.  My Husband, mom, and aunts were taking turns in the waiting room to hear from the doctor.  By the time we knew it his neurosurgeon came to my room and told us that the surgery went good but Luke will never be able to move his legs.  He will have no mobility whats so ever. The plastic surgeon placed a wound vaccum on his opening with artificial skin so it could suck the skin cells to the skin and it could start growing on its own, if not a skin graph would be necessary.  My husband and I were both freaked out and started crying our eyes out.  We saw him moving when he was delivered. How could this be?  We were in so much shock and just ready to go and see him after recovery. 
Same day as my C-Section once Luke was in recovery I got in a wheelchair and headed down to see him.  He was 7lbs5oz and 21in long, so light complected, with thin light brown hair, gray eyes, no eyebrows or eyelashes, and sound asleep.

  It was so hard to see him in his condition but I got used to it within the first five minutes.  As he layed on his stomach with the wound vac doing its job on his back, IV in his arm, all the little monitors on his chest, and nurse giving him a real strong pain killer, it was tears to my eyes and questions in my mind.  The nurse told me that he would be out all day due to the pain killers.  We had to wear gloves and robes till some test passed that would take two days to find out.  We went back to my room so I can rest.  Later that night I got up and was tired of waiting for the nurse.  I had my husband walk me down to see Luke.  Its so hard when you as a parent are suppose to care, love, and protect your child and can't do a thing but hope for the best and Trust in God.  It was the beginning to our journey, and all we could do is walk by faith.

1 comment: